Information and Inspection Powers
HMRC has extensive Information and Inspection Powers which it can use to force taxpayers to provide information, documents and access to records and premises duringTax Enquiries and Investigations.
The Taxman has the power to:
- Demand that you produce certain "statutory records" and other documenrts and information reasonably required to check your tax position;
- Visit your business to inspect: the premises; assets; and records (including at your home, if that's where you work);
- Require third parties (e.g. your business contacts) to supply information and documents;
- Require Financial Instituions (e.g. banks) to supply information and documents;
- Change the statutory record keeping requirements;
- Charge you penalties if you do not comply.
What does it mean for me?
Accountants and Tax Advisers need to be thoroughly familiar with the rules; and vigilant in upholding their clients' rights, using the few protections available. They need to be able to defend their clients from intrusive and unjustified use of these powers. Dealing with these issues badly can: cause your clients to incur hefty penalties; create unnecessary aggravation and stress; lead to ever more intrusive questioning - particularly in relation to your client's private affairs; and unduly prolong a tax investigation.
How can Lynam Tax Enquiry Experts help me?
Lynam Tax specialise in dealing with HMRC, and are experts in the application of the Information and Inspection regulations - and how to defend clients from unfair or inappropriate use of HMRC powers.
If you need advice and help in a difficult Tax Enquiry call:
PAUL LYNAM : 0845 643 9997
ANDREW NUTBROWN: 0771 877 8710
or email: email@example.com
Lynam Tax Enquiry Experts HELP ME?
- Offshore Bank Disclosures
- Contractual Disclosure Facility/ COP9
- Appeals / Tribunal Hearings
- Worldwide Disclosure Facility: Tax Amnesty
- Fraud Investigation Service
- Rental Income Tax Enquiry
- Business Tax Enquiry
We specialise in managing all Tax Enquiry, Tax Disclosures & Tax Disputes with HMRC.
We will help you throughout the Tax Investigation or Disclosure and save you money, so you can concentrate on running your business and enjoying your private life.
For a helpful, sympathetic, confidential and no obligation discussion: