Information and Inspection Powers
HMRC has extensive Information and Inspection Powers which it can use to force taxpayers to provide information, documents and access to records and premises duringTax Enquiries and Investigations.
The Taxman has the power to:
- Visit businesses to inspect the premises, assets and records (including at your home, if that's where you work);
- Ask taxpayers and third parties (e.g. your bank and business contacts) for information and documents;
- Change record keeping requirements.
What does it mean for me?
Accountants and Tax Advisers need to be thoroughly familiar with the rules; and vigilant in upholding their clients' rights, using the few protections available. They need to be able to defend their clients from intrusive and unjustified use of these powers. Dealing with this issues badly can: cause your clients to incur hefty penalties; create unnecessary aggravation and stress; lead to ever more intrusive questioning - particularly in relation to your client's private affairs; and unduly prolong a tax investigation
How can Lynam Tax Enquiry Experts help me?
Lynam Tax specialise in dealing with HMRC, and are experts in the application of the Information and Inspection regulations - and how to defend clients from unfair or inappropriate use of HMRC powers.
For more information about the new Information and Inspection Powers click here for our news article: New Tax Compliance Checks Regime.
Lynam Tax Enquiry Experts HELP ME?
- Offshore Bank Disclosures
- Contractual Disclosure Facility/ COP9
- Appeals / Tribunal Hearings
- Tax Amnesty
- Fraud Investigation Service
- Rental Income Tax Enquiry
- Business Tax Enquiry
We specialise in managing all Tax Enquiry, Tax Disclosures & Tax Disputes with HMRC.
We will help you throughout the Tax Investigation or Disclosure and save you money, so you can concentrate on running your business and enjoying your private life.
For a helpful, sympathetic, confidential and no obligation discussion: