Income Tax Enquiries
An Income Tax Enquiry can be very worrying, distracting, and costly; not only in tax, interest and penalties; but also in lost time. It can put a toll on personal health, and relationships.
Income Tax Enquiries are usually carried out by tax officers and tax inspectors in HM Revenue & Custom’s Local Compliance offices. The vast majority of Enquiries into personal Tax Returns relate to sole-traders and landlords. A tax inspection usually starts within a year of you sending in your Self Assessment Tax Return; but can commence years later. HMRC will normally issue a legal Notice of Enquiry (or Notice of Intention to Enquire) and Code of Practice 11 (Enquiries into Tax Returns by Local Tax Offices).
Sometimes HMRC send a more general letter offering you the chance to make a disclosure. These invitation to disclose types of letters are common where HMRC already holds information - such as: details of rents received through a letting agent or by housing benefit; sales of property; or offshore bank accounts held. These types of tax enquiry need careful handling so as to: minimise the risk of prosecution; obtain the maximum tax relief for costs incurred; and to minimise the penalties that the taxman will charge.
Only about 3% of all traders get investigated each year and only 3% of those are ’Random Enquiries’. The other 97% are selected by the Tax Inspectors because they suspect there is something wrong with your business accounts or personal Tax Return; and believe they will get more Income Tax, interest and penalties out of you. Often the tax inspector suspects you of fiddling your books. If you get a Tax Enquiry Notice or a COP 11 then you or your accountant may need specialist help.
Most Income Tax enquiries are intrusive, and cover your personal affairs as well as the business.
The most worrying Income Tax Enquiries are those started under Code of Practice 9 ("Contractual Disclosure Facility") by the elite Fraud Investigation Service. If you receive COP 9 then HMRC believes you are guilty of tax evasion - and you should get specialist help urgently.
How Can Lynam Tax Investigation Specialists Help me?
Lynam Tax Enquiry Experts can help you. We understand the stress of an Income Tax Investigation and have over 90 years’ experience of dealing with tax enquiries into owner-managed businesses; buy to let landlords; and offshore investors. We have the expertise, knowledge, skills, and years of full-time experience to assist you in these difficult times: and to get the best result for you, your business and your family.
FOR A FREE, DISCREET, NO OBLIGATION DISCUSSION CALL TODAY:
PAUL LYNAM: 0845 643 9997
ANDREW NUTBROWN: 0771 877 8710
Lynam Tax Enquiry Experts HELP ME?
- Offshore Bank Disclosures
- Contractual Disclosure Facility/ COP9
- Appeals / Tribunal Hearings
- Worldwide Disclosure Facility: Tax Amnesty
- Fraud Investigation Service
- Rental Income Tax Enquiry
- Business Tax Enquiry
We specialise in managing all Tax Enquiry, Tax Disclosures & Tax Disputes with HMRC.
We will help you throughout the Tax Investigation or Disclosure and save you money, so you can concentrate on running your business and enjoying your private life.
For a helpful, sympathetic, confidential and no obligation discussion: